Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Look for the Positive

I can't tell you how many times in the past week I've had to consciously turn away from the computer and make a concerted effort not to keep looking back at either Twitter or Facebook or various news feeds.  There's just been....so much. In fact, earlier tonight, as I was braiding Riley's hair, she remarked, "Why do we even watch the news?! It's five minutes of weather, and the rest is people killing each other!" (We don't actually watch it often here -- I get most of my news on-line these days -- but it happened to be on when we walked back out into the family room.)  I hugged her and reminded her that there are a lot of good stories and good people, too.  We just don't hear enough about them, it seems. 

Which brings me to this -- earlier today, I resolved to get back to my blogging in earnest.  I really would like to write something every day. Even if it's mostly just fluff. I re-read a number of my old posts today and was reminded how good it felt to be sharing my daily smiles (and interspersing those with more contemplative pieces.)  Then, too, I found a photo/message from one of my favorite Facebook pages "365 Days of Inspiration" that reminded me to look for the beauty in every day:



So I decided to do just that.  And I actually sat down and made a list of the things that have made me smile in the past day or two:


  • I have a new shower. Not a completely new shower -- just a new surround and fixtures. But it works. For the first time in over two years, I have my own shower and am not borrowing Riley's. And it feels great! One nagging item off that far too long list of things to get done.
  • The giggle fit Josh and I had Monday night as we opened our show with a tribute to the K-Mart "ship your pants" commercial, and Mark's bewilderment at us.
  • Discovering that I have a way to copy files off of all my old floppies at work (some saved from 13+ years ago) and even convert the Word Perfect documents to Word. (Geek alert!)
  • Receiving some of the sweetest texts and e-mails from my beau. (Schmoop alert!  And get used to it.)
  • Valiantly slaying the giant spider Riley discovered in her shower this morning -- it's nice when Mom can still save the day.
  • Getting David past the 100 Follower mark on Twitter. (This will mean nothing to non-Twitterers, but it's a pretty big deal in the Twitterverse.  I still remember how proud I was when I broke the 100 Follower barrier.) 
  • Confirming plans for our upcoming "staycation," including taking in a Cardinals game, staying downtown and doing St. Louis touristy stuff.
  • Having lunch with Sam, Hopey and Kevin today to celebrate Sam's birthday -- at Arcelia's, no less. Always loved that place and hated it when they closed. So glad they've reopened. Just as delicious as ever!
  • Working with silly, perverse co-workers who regularly force me to plug my ears and "Lalalala - I'm not listening!" at them.
  • It's warm out (for the time being) and it was sunny this afternoon.
  • I found a pretty flower in my backyard.

There is beauty in the world. There is good in the world.  Remember that. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment