Thursday, November 21, 2013

Aren't Enough Days in the Month...

I often feel like there aren't enough hours in the day, days in the week, etc., to accomplish all the things I want to accomplish.  I'm sure I'm far from alone in that feeling.  Today, I learned that there aren't enough days in the month (of December, specifically).  I hadn't honestly taken the time to sit down and do the math regarding my prescribed 33 radiation treatments and the number of week days (minus holidays) between now and year's end.  

Any other time of year, it wouldn't matter nearly so much.  But I'd really been hoping to finish up my treatments in this calendar year.  Not so I could start the new year with a "clean slate" (to go along with a clean bill of health.)  No, this is purely mercenary on my part.  You see, January 1st brings with it not just a new year with all its promise, but also a new deductible to meet.  Bleearrrggghhh!!  

Okay, enough with that. At least I still have insurance.  For now. So there's that.  Also, political geek that I am, I find it vaguely amusing (in a sort of dark and twisty way) that the Senate and I are both going nuclear at the same time.

Today's appointment was essentially a "practice run" for my treatments.  The techs had me lie down on the treatment table, adjusted me this way and that, then added some new ink to the right side of my chest, to make sure that everything would line up just so when they do start zapping me.  They took some x-rays and additional photographs to record the proper coordinates and such.  And that was that.  Nothing painful about it (thankfully). The one tech was profusely apologetic when he had to pull the old plastic tape off me, but really, pulling a bandaid off is the least of my worries these days.  

At the end of the appointment, I was handed my schedule of treatments.  The good news is I got the early morning slot for most of them, and, now that I've dutifully added all of the appointments to my calendar, have determined that none of them appear to conflict with court appearances or other work-related matters already on it.  The bad news is they stretch from next Monday to January 13th. Meh.  Financial considerations aside, it's good to know I'll be essentially done with treatment in less than two months.  And whatever cruddiness comes along with radiation will be offset to a certain degree by the fun of the holiday season.  

Again, I have to acknowledge I'm lucky in so many respects, and thankful for the continued well-wishes and support of family and friends. Now if I could just figure out the trick to increasing the number hours in a day....






No comments:

Post a Comment