Sunday, April 28, 2019

That Thing You Do


Hard to believe the movie is 23 years old. It's still one of those that I'll stop and watch whenever I happen across it. And there's no denying the title song is a huge part of that. Though the story itself is cute, and the characters -- or most of them anyway -- endearing, there's something utterly toe-tappingly infectious about the tune "That Thing You Do." 

So when I heard it playing in the grocery store this evening, it put a smile on my face and a little extra spring in my step. I don't normally do my shopping at 7:00 on Sunday evening but I spent the morning writing and watching church (on-line) and then heading to the ballgame with my sister (thank you, David!) 



...so Sunday evening at the grocery store it was. (Had to stock up on my fruits and veggies and get back into the Mediterranean Diet swing!) 

But here's what really made me smile: As I pushed my cart along the back of the store humming it to myself, I heard a man behind me cheerily whistling the tune. Then I saw another huge bear of a man in the dairy section moving his shoulders and doing a subtle little dance step in tune with the music. And as I wandered down the bottled water aisle, I heard a woman the next aisle over quietly hum-singing along with it. 

There aren't many songs that could have four different people (at least) dancing and humming their way through the grocery store on a Sunday night -- or anytime for that matter. But the sound of an imaginary one hit "oneder" from the 60's/90's seems to be just the ticket. And I don't know that any clip from a movie better captures such unbridled joy: 




Bonus points: To Guy (Tom Everett Scott) for knowing how to have a "Spartacus moment." And to T.B. (Ethan Embry) for something I never before noticed until just now - at about the 54-second mark, just as he and Faye (Liv Tyler) are bursting through the doors of Patterson's appliance store, he stops and wipes his feet on the welcome mat.  (Have I mentioned I love this movie?)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment