Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hello. My Name is America.

A warning up front: This entry will mark a significant departure from my typical tone and subject matter. 

"Hello. My name is America. You killed my people. Prepare to die." It came to me about two hours into the coverage of Osama Bin Laden's death. Those familiar with one of my all-time favorite movies, "The Princess Bride," will recognize its inspiration. 

I actually typed it into TweetDeck, and then erased it.  Something made me question.... Too flip? Too...something?  I remarked earlier that it feels a little weird -- I've never celebrated someone's death before. I'm not quite sure I much like this feeling.  I am glad we got him. Though the circumstances were somewhat extraordinary, I do believe that justice has been served. 

Ultimately, I decided to go ahead and put it out there into the Twitterverse.  Not surprisingly, it provoked a (mostly positive) reaction. I'm not laughing, though, as some have assumed. 

This is a sobering event.  Again, I believe it to be a positive one for our country. But I can't help but reflect on the genesis of this quest:  The many lives lost and forever altered by horrific events that happened nearly 10 years ago. I hope that, in some small measure at least, today's events help bring some closure and peace to those who lost loved ones on 9/11 and in the battles waged since.

God bless the lost souls.  God bless our military men and women for serving and protecting us all.  And God bless America. 

1 comment:

  1. No, considering who you were considering being "flippant" about, it would NOT have been inappropriate, IMO. He apparently was offered a chance to surrender, and chose to go out fighting. If this event doesn't tell our enemies that we WILL seek out and deal with terrorists, nothing will. I am not at all unhappy that he chose not to surrender. We don't need to spend the money for a trial. Jim Waite, came here linked from Facebook

    ReplyDelete