Thursday, April 1, 2010

If It Makes You Happy

Earlier tonight, I proudly proclaimed to my FB friends that having the windows open and the ceiling fans whirring makes me happy.  It occurred to me as I hit "Share" that it's been quite a long time since I actually said that  -- that I was happy -- out loud.  (Well, to the extent that posting it on the internet counts as saying it "out loud.")  A really long time.  Too long.  

And it was such a simple thing, this happy maker.  Just some warm, fresh air.  Probably didn't hurt that I finally feel as though I've turned the corner on this cough, and I definitely had more energy tonight than I've had in several days.  But it got me to thinking about all the simple things that make me happy:

My daughter's giggle; the kitties purring; the silly grin my dog sometimes sports; a well-cooked meal; a cold glass of Riesling; the smell of steaks on the grill; relaxing in my hot tub; a clean kitchen; a clutter-free house; the smell of dryer exhaust; fresh clean sheets on my bed; completing a project; checking things off my To Do list; crossing the finish line; happy hour with friends; girls' nights out; an impromptu road trip; long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days. Okay - I stole that last bit from Bull Durham.  But it's true. 

The point is...well, I kind of forgot my point now.  But it's good to remember them more than once in awhile -- the simple, sweet things that make us happy.   

1 comment: